Saturday 27 December 2008

Christmas 2008

A very pleasant Christmas Day was spent with my family, and of course little Oliver was the star. Who needs entertaining with a bright and energetic two year old. My son came back over on Boxing Day for another turkey dinner and an afternoon playing Scrabble with his Mum. It has become quite a tradition for Peter and I to challenge each other to Scrabble at Christmas. It's fun but also quite a tough game as we both take it seriously!


Now of course Christmas is over in the physical world but it will never be over in our hearts. Having said that, the birth of Jesus would have meant nothing, if He had not been prepared to give His life for our salvation and hang upon the Cross at the age of 33 as an Intercessor for us.

So much in the garden at this time of year looks dead and faded and I do not usually photograph it except for snow and frost but as I looked around today with a photographer's eye, I realised that there is still beauty if one looks for it.











It is a much better time to see the fish too when the Water Lillies have died down and the Arrums are in the greenhouse. Only a net to keep the Herons out for the Winter.



And lastly a card I made for a wedding today.

13 comments:

Susan said...

Beauty indeed. Love the photo of you. You would beat me at scrabble I am sure. Spelling is my worst subject. Glad you Christmas was good. Yes, if He had not come prepared to die andd He had not been born of a virgin with God as His father. BUT He was, He did, and consequently we can live and move and have our being in Him!!!
Susan

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you had such a wonderful Christmas. I love the photos!

Willow said...

Yes, there is beauty in every season!

Your Christmas celebration sounds a bit like ours--enjoying it all a bit more through the eyes of a little child!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

There is actually still quite a bit of color in your garden...just not up to the standards of spring and summer.

What is that amazing curly and swirly plant?

Patsy said...

Love your garden and your happy smiling picture.
Patsy

Debra said...

I too love that swirley looking plant...I've always been drawn to that which is different!

Mmm said...

Enjoy christmastide, Barbara.

Aubrey said...

Your garden does look pretty still. Mine's covered in 8 inches of snow.

What do you do on Boxing Day now? I know a little bit about what they used to do, but how did it start and what has it evolved to now? Maybe I better google it. ;)

I'm glad you had a nice holiday.

Vee said...

Much to look at and enjoy...when does the garden begin to revive again? I know that it's much sooner than it would be here.

Oh how we laughed at the children's antics. They say and do the cutest things. One of my oldest grands funniest things is saying "John, what are you doing here?" We all crack up.

You both take Scrabble seriously? Oh that must make for some intense games and a few challenges. We have one version where anything goes...anything. We just have to be able to define the word. It is a lot of fun to play...lots faster...and the scores are wild! LOL!

Judy said...

Beautiful photos...and I'm glad you had a lovely Christmas.

I used to play Scrabble with my son...but haven't done that in a long while. That sounds like a good tradition to me.

Tea Time With Melody said...

I like Scrabble too! It is fun having Christmas traditions. We don't do games but every year I put the Lifesavors Book (candy) in the kids stockings and one year I didn't and oh my did I hear about it! ha The kids are now 28, 22 and 20 so I don't mess with tradition anymore.

Needled Mom said...

Yes, the garden does have a life of it's own in the winter. It is still very pretty.

Christmas Scrabble? That is quite a tradition. Our family loves the game too.

Wishes for a beautiful Christmas season throughout the year to you and your family.

a woman who is said...

I was wondering about the swirly tree too...leave it to Sara to ask.

I just found out the answer on her blog. Very cool tree!

I haven't had time to try the Sticky Toffee Pudding yet, but thanks so much for sending it to me! I can't wait to give it a go!