Saturday 17 November 2012

Ickworth House & Gardens Pt. 2

Continuing our stroll through Ickworth House
Note the curvature of the Rotunda
lots of pillars which I guess are needed to compensate for the lack of straight walls


The Library





Sitting room




the outer corridor which circles the inner living areas




but also in places connects rooms





and back to the entrance hall




with the central dome in the ceiling


and upstairs to several different levels


I like these circular open areas that look out onto
the central area



we are on the top level now





a bedroom, obviously



I guess this was from the time that water had to be carried into bathing areas






the silver room






A model of the house with the central rotunda sliced off at different levels to give an idea of the positioning of the rooms


we will now descend and will give you a feel of the gardens in next post


10 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

There are definitely times when I've wished for a large home like that. With my family coming in for Thanksgiving here we could use a sitting room like that one. The rooms there are huge. Thank you for a look inside of a time long past.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Such interesting architecture. Of course, I love all the curved lines everywhere, and those porthole windows too.

Vee said...

So many details, beautiful portraits and lots of red used on walls and in carpets. The curves of the hallway were lovely to see. I can imagine children finding it perfectly delightful. It'd make a great home for playing Hide n' Seek!

Merisi said...

What a glorious place, thank you for the tour! :-)

Elizabethd said...

I think I would need a week to take it all in. What a beautiful place. The chandeliers are so lovely, and the red wallcovering seems to glow

Lorrie said...

Such magnificence. I was particularly struck by the library with the leatherbound books, and the opulent draperies!

Scriptor Senex said...

A super tour of the house. Needless to say the Library is my favourite room.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful. I like the fact that there are bookcases all over. I especially like the ones curving between the windows in the library.
Looking down on all the levels is really impressive.

Trisha said...

One question, Barbara, Do you ever feel like Cinderella when you are touring these magnificent homes?
I think I would. Blessings and thank you for sharing your amazing adventures.

Deanna said...

Gorgeous!