Saturday 3 November 2012

Kentwell Hall & Gardens Pt. 5 (plus)

Before continuing I would like to thank all those who responded to my request for help with the sizing resolution on my dashboard, settings, template and comments pages.
Vee kindly suggested that I try pressing 'Ctrl' and plus or minus keys
I did press 'Ctrl' and used the right arrow key (could have used the mouse wheel too) and this enabled me to solve the problem 
Mentioning it here for anybody else who does not realise that sizing on pages can be altered that way
I obviously must have pressed the 'Ctrl' key inadvertently some time 

Back to Kentwell Hall
Here we are touring the original service buildings from 1500
and begin with the Bakehouse






then on to the Brewhouse



and Solar with it's amazing and original wall paintings


The Apothecary obviously worked and slept here






Have had a full and busy 3 days with Oliver and Rebekah (Grandchildren) staying but will finish this very interesting visit to Kentwell Hall with the gardens in my next post

I do wish I had taken a photograph of  3 year old Bekah when I got up at 7.30 am yesterday
There she was fully dressed with Cath Kidston backpack and shoulder bag on her back and and pushing her doll's buggy telling me she had just been to London
One of the moments that made the hard work worth while
plus the kisses of course!



10 comments:

Vee said...

Oh how cute! The good thing is that having recorded it in words, you're unlikely to forget the moment...just been to London. =)

I really enjoyed poking around with you and seeing the large (or what appears to be large) rooms for their various purposes. I wonder if we ate bread freshly baked from that time if it would be similar to what we know today. Wonderful paintings on the wall and beautiful light coming in at the windows over the work tables.

Needled Mom said...

Ahhh yes, those are the worth it all moments!! What did she do in London???? ;)

I am so enjoying the house. This one really does give me a sense of the period.

La Petite Gallery said...

Barbara,
It's amazing how well these building's are built. We have
people today that build homes and after 30 years they fall apart.
They call themselves Contractors.
I bet your GrandChildren are adorable.The weather is getting cold and I think of NYC they have no heat or power after that storm.
It was a horror.

yvonne

Elizabeth said...

I often think that the kitchen and workrooms are more interesting than the grander parts of a house.
Super photos.
Thank you for your kind messages.
We got power back yesterday evening. Thank God.
So glad you are enjoying the grandchildren and that Rebekah was thrilled with her presents!
Luckily my two tiddlies (almost three and 9 months) managed to get to a relative's house yesterday that had power restored. Poor little things had been getting cold in a powerless house.
Must be quite fun at Jen's house --6 children under 8! My heart breaks for those who lost everything and are in shelters still.

Cheri said...

Very interesting post! I loved all the photos. So glad you are back to normal.

Elizabethd said...

You will have to remember her sweet remark, and tell her again when she is grown up!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That place had to have many working there. It seems like a village within itself. It had to have been pretty self sufficient. Glad you had some quality time with your grandchildren. They are a lot of work but I agree well worthwhile.

nikkipolani said...

Your accidental resizing of the screen reminded me of when I visited my cousins in France and, unused to their keyboard, accidentally ROTATED the screen 90 degrees. Thankfully, I recalled the key combination and the screen a few more times until it was right-side-up again.

The apothecary rooms look fascinating with herbs drying and little pots and bottles on the shelves.

Lorrie said...

Those big houses had so many rooms designed for specific purposes. Each estate had to look after the needs of so many people. What wonderfully preserved buildings.
Such a sweet story of your little granddaughter.

Anonymous said...

This is such a fascinating property. I enjoy seeing these areas as much as the grand rooms. You really get a feel for the place.
Your granddaughter sounds like she has quite an imagination!